Sonic Forever

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Loving Memory of Elle Grace Kelly. Rest in peace, Elle. ♥

2 posters

Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix Review (ROM Hack)

Star
    Star

Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix Review (ROM Hack) Empty Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix Review (ROM Hack)

Post by Star Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:01 am

[Note: This is an ongoing review. It's not finished, and I will be editing it over time as I play through the game. I'm also not writing my final thoughts until I'm done with the game]

Sonic the Hedgehog Megamix. It doesn't get much better than this. In case you don't know, Sonic Megamix is a rom hack of the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis. There are currently two versions of this game; v3.0 and v4.0b. I'll get more into this later. I have so many things to say about this game that I don't even know where to start.

The concept is simple. Take Sonic 1, and add more characters, new levels, and tons of new gameplay elements. There are currently 5 playable characters; Sonic, Mighty, Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles. These characters change up the game a lot, because each of them has different abilities that changes up the game even more. The gameplay in this game has been modified from the normal Sonic engine. For example, Sonic can use the homing attack and light dash. Don't be turned off by the addition of the homing attack. It actually works pretty well. These elements have been tried in the recent games like Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations. Unfortunately, they ended up not being as good and taking away from the experience. However, Sonic Megamix has the perfect blend of these aspects added to the original Sonic engine.

I felt a TON of nostalgia playing this game. I've always wanted a good tribute to the original Sonic that feels like the originals. Once again, Sonic 4 and Generations tried to do this, but didn't have the perfect gameplay from the originals. Since this is a Genesis rom, it uses the Genesis soundfont, the music sounds just like a real genesis game(maybe because technically it is). The music is a mix between original music from the first games and remixes of the original songs. The graphics are amazing. Some of the sprites are just mere recolors, but others are completely redesigned for the game. I really felt like I was playing a brand new game while playing this.

In addition to playing a brand new game, you can also play the original mode. Original mode is basically the original Sonic 1, but with the new characters. If you don't want the homing attack or light dash, you can turn them off in the menu (although I doubt you would want to)

There are two main versions of the rom that are currently out. First, is v3.0. This is the version that I've mainly talked about in this review. The other version is v4.0b or 4.0 beta. This version is unstable, and may have lots of glitches, so I do not recommend playing it first. There are some differences between these two, one being that 4.0b is a Sega CD rom, and not a genesis rom. This allows CD-quality music to be played during the game, enhancing the quality of the game. I haven't experienced this rom too much, but I will explain it in greater detail at a later time. Also, remember that this game isn't yet finished, so it will have some glitches in it, but I haven't found any major ones yet.

[OPINION TIME!]
    I wish that this game was the real Sonic 4. Really. This is such a nostalgic game for me, and it makes me want to grab my Genesis and play some Sonic 2 again. Also, it's fun to play as Shadow in an original Sonic game, and play as Mighty from Knuckles' Chaotix.

Sources:
    Sonic Retro
    Team Megamix Website
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix Review (ROM Hack) Empty Re: Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix Review (ROM Hack)

Post by Nado13579 Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:50 am

Nice review. c: Never played as Mighty, so that would be cool.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am