Sonic Forever

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Loving Memory of Elle Grace Kelly. Rest in peace, Elle. ♥

3 posters

Sonic Rush Adventure

Rhys the Porcupine
    Rhys the Porcupine
    Wielder of Eclipse
    Wielder of Eclipse

Sonic Rush Adventure Empty Sonic Rush Adventure

Post by Rhys the Porcupine Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Sonic Rush Adventure Sonic-rush-adventure-ds

Sonic Rush Adventure (also known as Sonic Rush 2) is a Sonic the Hedgehog game for the Nintendo DS videogame handheld, developed by Dimps and Sonic Team, published by Sega. Sonic the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat return as playable characters, alongside a new, slightly hotheaded female raccoon named Marine the Raccoon. Sonic Rush Adventure is a direct sequel to Sonic Rush, and the first game in the Sonic series to allow online head-to-head play, via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Story

Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails are flying in Tails' airplane, searching for a mysterious energy signal that appeared on Tails' radar. As they travel farther and farther across the ocean, a sudden storm approaches, and a tornado appears. Sonic warns Tails of the danger, but Tails, not hearing him, continues flying onwards. All of a sudden, the plane is hit by a lightning bolt, and falls into the tornado, leaving a green flash in the center of the vortex. Awhile later, they are awakened by a young, energetic raccoon named Marine, who tells them that they have landed on Southern Island. They find her in the middle of testing a ship she has made, which blows up not long after she tests it. She explains to them about her dreams of building a ship to explore the world's oceans, as she wanted to do this ever since she was shipwrecked on Southern Island. Tails offers to help rebuild her ship, hoping that she could also help him and Sonic find their way home.

Sonic sets off to explore the island for shipbuilding materials, as Tails starts to work on Marine's ship. Sonic returns, and discovers the smaller, faster vehicle that Tails and Marine have made. While Marine, Sonic, and Tails try out the vehicle, they soon encounter various islands and a band of pirates on their search for a treasure, led by the notorious Captain Whisker. These pirates have treasure and loot in their sights, and they won't let anyone - not even Sonic the Hedgehog - stop them or get in their way.

Unexpectedly, as Sonic races through this chaotic world, Blaze appears. Blaze reveals to them that they've accidentally traveled to her dimension during the storm. It turns out she is after Captain Whisker, and decides to go along with Sonic, Tails, and Marine, in order to get some clues to the captain's whereabouts. Throughout their adventure, they finally find and confront Captain Whisker and his right hand man, Johnny. After they defeat the two robots, Marine is kidnapped. Sonic, Tails, and Blaze pursue the kidnapper, and defeat him, freeing Marine. After that, Sonic and the gang return to Marine's island. Suddenly, an earthquake occurs, making Sonic and company leave the workshop, to see what is happening. A robot appears, along with Dr. Eggman. It seems Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega, an ancestor of the doctor, are behind everything. The evil geniuses head to the center of Blaze's home planet to receive the power of the stars, which Eggman Nega claims has more power than both the Sol and Chaos Emeralds combined. Sonic, Tails, Marine, and Blaze try to stop the villains with a vehicle that Tails had built, but Sonic is too late, as Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega use the power of the scepter to make their machine more powerful.

When Marine and Tails are separated from Sonic and Blaze, the hedgehog and cat confront Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega. By using the Chaos Emeralds and the Sol Emeralds, they transform into Super Sonic and Burning Blaze respectively, to fight both Eggmans. Eggman Nega tries to destroy Blaze's planet, but with the help of Marine, Super Sonic and Burning Blaze defeat them. The story ends with Tails building a craft that uses the power of both the Chaos Emeralds, and the Sol Emeralds. Sonic and Blaze then shake hands in congratulations to each other. Before Sonic and Tails head on their way, Marine appears with her new vehicle, and tells Sonic and Tails that she will study to become a captain. Sonic and Tails wish her the best of luck, and that they will meet each other again some day.

Gameplay

As Sonic, the player begins each adventure from Windmill Village on Southern Island. Bring up the Sea Chart, you have to plot your route using the stylus. After plotting the desired route, the character begins to race to one of the seven main islands using one of the four ships, a waterbike named Wave Cyclone, a sailboat named Ocean Tornado, a hovercraft named Aqua Blast, and a submarine named Deep Typhoon. On the Wave Cyclone, Sonic can collect rings and perform tricks to fill up a Boost Gauge. When Sonic uses the boost, the waterbike speeds up and becomes temporarily invincible until the Boost Gauge runs out. While using the Ocean Tornado sailboat, you can shoot enemies and rings with either bullets, cannonballs, or a flamethrower. Each varies in strength and clip size before reloading. Sailing in the Aqua Blast is roughly similar to using the waterbike, however there are no ramps, and holding the stylus down charges up a laser which is fired by releasing it. Using the Deep Typhoon submarine involves tapping (sometimes sliding) rhythmically on enemies and powerups to fire missiles at them.

When the player arrives at one of the seven main islands, his objective is to get to the goal at the end of the level. Sonic Rush Adventure uses the trick system, first introduced in Sonic Advance 2, with which the player can perform aerial tricks by pressing the A, B and R-button in mid-air. By doing tricks or defeating enemies, the Tension Gauge will fill up, allowing the character to perform a Super Boost until it runs out. The Tension Gauge decreases over time and whenever the character takes damage. There are two acts per level, and after completing them, a 3D boss battle is played.

After unlocking Blaze, the player is given a choice of what character to use. While neither character differs extensively from the other, there are several key differences. Blaze can hover, and her aerial tricks propel her higher. Also, when she encounters flames, they die down, allowing her to pass unharmed. However, Sonic is faster than Blaze.

One of the main tasks within the game is to gather up materials so that Tails can build new ships and equipment to allow progress within the story. At Marine's house, the player can also engage in multiplayer battles using DS Download Play, as well as playing using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which allows people to race against each other online using Sonic or Blaze, or Ring Battles where the player has to collect as many rings as possible, spread throughout the map.

Among other events, Sonic can find Johnny and end up racing for one of the Chaos Emeralds. Blaze has her own set of jewels to collect, the Sol Emeralds, and she can earn them by completing a series of special missions. Collecting all fourteen Emeralds will unlock the final stage.

Sonic Rush Adventure SonicRushAdventure

Glimpse of the gameplay.

Music

The music in the game keeps its overt funk and hip hop influences that first used in Sonic Rush. The music is atypical for the Sonic series, along with its many small phrases and words throughout the songs. Sega composer Teruhiko Nakagawa is the sound director and composer of Sonic Rush Adventure.

The theme song of the game is "A New Venture", exclusive to Sonic Rush Adventure with female vocals by Tahirih Walker and lyrics by Sakae Osumi. The official soundtrack of the game, titled Sonic Rush Adventure Original Soundtrack was released on October 18, 2007 in Japan, along with 52 original tracks.

Sonic Rush Adventure Sonic_rush_adventure-329479

Image of both Sonic and Blaze's gameplay.

Reception

Like its predecessor, Sonic Rush Adventure was critically well received, scoring 80% on Game Rankings based on 36 reviews,and 78% on Metacritic, based on 32 reviews. The game was praised for it's noticeable improvements over Sonic Rush. GamePro praised the game for it's length and graphics, but criticized some of the voice sound effects during races. GamePro praised the games 3D sections and multiplayer battle mode. However, some reviewers criticized having to replay levels multiple times, and weakness in the story sections.

Sonic Rush Adventure also won IGN's Best Platform Game of 2007 for the Nintendo DS and Official Nintendo Magazine's Gold Award.

I haven't played this game for well of course, since I don't own a DS, but I've heard from people that the Rush games were pretty good. If you would like to share your thoughts on Sonic Rush Adventure, then feel free to do so here.
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Sonic Rush Adventure Empty Re: Sonic Rush Adventure

Post by Nado13579 Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 am

Too bad I can't make it past the darn second boss. -___-
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 am

Why does this thread not have replies!? It deserves more love!

I got this game along with others for my birthday almost three years ago and I'm in LOVE with it. I didn't play it TOO much then, but about a month ago I started playing it often and now I'm obsessed. And Marine is hilarious. XD I flippin' love her! Wish she was in more games(she does get a mention in the DS version of Colors, but still...) And Blaze, I finally get to play as Blaze in something! I squeaked when she came in right before one of the bosses :3 (I have the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game, but I don't know if I ever got around to playing as her in it. Probably did once...)
    Okuu
    Okuu
    ☢ CAUTION ☢
    ☢ CAUTION ☢

Post by Okuu Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Has anybody ever tried tapping Sonic or Blaze when they're on the bottom screen, just to see what would happen?
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:40 am

No, but now I'm tempted to. XD
    *checks*
    Hey that pretty cool, never noticed. Razz (Yeah I seriously just turned on my DS to see. It was right next to me anyway so...)
    Okuu
    Okuu
    ☢ CAUTION ☢
    ☢ CAUTION ☢

Post by Okuu Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:58 pm

This also works in the DS version of Colors, assuming my memory serves me correctly.
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:10 am

Haven't played Colors on the DS, only the Wii. But if I do then I'll try it out. Oh, and on Colours I know that there are more characters in the DS version, so can you play as them, or it it just Sonic like on the Wii?
    Okuu
    Okuu
    ☢ CAUTION ☢
    ☢ CAUTION ☢

Post by Okuu Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:44 am

Fortunately, it's only Sonic.
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 am

As much as I do love the other characters, it is nice to have some games with Sonic as the only playable character like the good ol' days. (Though I wasn't around then back when Sonic 1 came out.)

Which reminds me, have you seen the fanmade Youtube trailer for Sonic 4 with all the character in the previous games, then ending with him finally alone with "Sonic The Heghehog 4: Friends Not Included"? If not, then this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptG4xNkRGxQ I was pretty much in stitches during Robotnik's heart issues and the Adventure and Heroes parodies at the end. And I think this is how every fan reacted to all the characters. Especially you, Daniel. Since it seems you hate the idea of such a big damn cast. Like you said in the Sonic Reboot thread. XD
    Rhys the Porcupine
    Rhys the Porcupine
    Wielder of Eclipse
    Wielder of Eclipse

Post by Rhys the Porcupine Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm

I don't have any sort of DS unfortunately, so I don't have much to say on this game.
    Okuu
    Okuu
    ☢ CAUTION ☢
    ☢ CAUTION ☢

Post by Okuu Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:44 am

If not for the fact that I still occasionally use it to play Pokemon Emerald or FireRed, I'd send you my DS Lite.
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 pm

I have the Lite, I want to get the 3DS. Not for the 3D graphics though, really just for the newer games that don't play on the Lite. Razz
    Okuu
    Okuu
    ☢ CAUTION ☢
    ☢ CAUTION ☢

Post by Okuu Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 pm

OH MY GAWD! NADO, ARE YOU MY LONG-LOST TWIN?
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 pm

*le gasp* Finally!! I have found my twin! I have a brother!! Very Happy
    Okuu
    Okuu
    ☢ CAUTION ☢
    ☢ CAUTION ☢

Post by Okuu Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 am

Oh, wait... Crap, I'm significantly older than you. More specifically, by 237 days, assuming my math is correct.
    Nado13579
    Nado13579

Post by Nado13579 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 am

Pssh, let's just assume that you're premature and I was born late. xD That's still possible and could still count as twins, right? Maybe. :p

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 pm